More than 100 pets have died and over 200 got sick after consuming Sportsmix and Pro Pac dog food, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
The dog food is made by Midwestern Pet Foods and was recalled about a month ago. The FDA has extended the recall and warns there could still be food on shelves and at home. The animal feed contains potentially fatal aflatoxin levels and as soon as new information becomes available, “The number of cases and the scope of this recall can expand.” the FDA said.
Aflatoxin is a mold by-product that can grow on corn and other grains commonly used in pet foods. On a high level, “Aflatoxins can cause illness and death in pets.” declared the FDA.
Officials urge pet owners to do so Discard products, even if mold is not visible.
Many of the following pet food products have been recalled if their date / lot code includes an expiration date on or before “07/09/22” and “05” in the date / lot code that identifies products made at the Oklahoma factory:
- Pro Pac Adult Mini Chunk, 40 pound bag
- Pro Pac Performance Puppy, 40 pound bag
- Splash Fat Cat 32%, 50 lb. bag
- Nunn Better Maintenance, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 pound bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bag
- Sport mix maintenance, 44 lb. bag
- Sport mix maintenance, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Protein, 50 pound sachet
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 pound bag
- Sports mix endurance, 44 pound bag
- Sports mix endurance, 50 pound bag
- Sports mix bite size, 40 lb. bag
- Sports mix bite size, 44 lb. bag
- Sports mix High Energy, 44 lb. bag
- Sports mix High Energy, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 16.5 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 33 lb. bag
The lot code information is located on the back of the pouch and is displayed in a three line code with the top line in the format “EXP 03/03/22 /05/ L # / B ### / HH: MM ”