It’s the most wonderful – Be thankful – time of the year! Whether you’re celebrating with friends or family (with two legs or four!), Thanksgiving is a special holiday to reconnect, celebrate, and enjoy a delicious meal together. Your dog may want in on the festivities, too!
Confused if your dog can have a nibble of what you are preparing for your family for the big Thanksgiving feast? Refer to the list below to see what your pup can and cannot enjoy:
Thanksgiving Food Approved For Your Dog
- Avoid fatty skin, excess fat and seasoned areas. Stick to white meat.
- You should be careful with the twine that is used to tie up your turkey.
- Plain potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Apples (without any seeds)
- Plain pumpkin
- Plain peas
- Green beans
- Cheese (in moderation)
- Moderation is the best way to ensure that cranberries are safe for your pups. You can run into trouble if cranberries are mixed with raisins or a cranberry sauce is made with lots of sugar, grape juice or alcohol. Use caution.
- Turkey skin
- Turkey bones
- Turkey stuffing
- Turkey gravy
- Candy and gum
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet potatoes with additional ingredients
- Pumpkin pie
- Grapes and raisins
You can create a home that is comfortable for your dog
We love family gatherings and the holidays, but sometimes stress can cause anxiety in our dogs. These are some ways to make sure your dog feels safe and secure during Thanksgiving.
Your dog may have a difficult time finding their place and remaining calm with so many unfamiliar faces in their home. If your dog is showing signs of stress or anxiety, create a comfortable space for them away from the noises and crowds. Be sure to include a comfy resting place such as your dog’s favorite pillow or blanket and place food and water in a nearby location. Regularly check on your pup to make sure they remain calm.
If you know your dog will be anxious and stressed with a group of people in your home, they may benefit from a night of boarding at Dogtopia! Your pup will have a comfortable night of rest under the watchful eye of our caring team.
Find a Dogtopia near you by clicking here.